Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pickin' and a Grinnin'...

Looking for hidden treasure is definitely one of my favorite things to do. This was a very good week for that. I found some really cool things. My friends and family are great at giving me tips on where to go to find things. My friend Jenny helped me find this stuff.

The big dairy here in Des Moines is Anderson Erickson (AE). The house I bought a few years ago, was actually built for one of the original Erickson's of the dairy. The house was built in 1941 and I am the second owner.

On a previous treasure hunt, I came across the AE milk box. I fell in love. I wanted it. I could almost see it sitting on my front porch. It just seemed fitting, that it should end up there. I remember the days when the Dairy used to actually deliver milk around my neighborhood and deposit it in the milk boxes. The owner of the milk box, however, was not very eager to part with it. On that day, I settled for a galvanized milk box without any graphics.

Good things come to those who wait. I received a call earlier this week to let me know that they guy had reconsidered and would sell me this treasure. As a matter of fact, he was ready to part with a lot more this go around. Found some really great things...a ring of skeleton keys, a couple of old breadboxes, a great cast iron frog sprinkler, a beautiful 20 lb. fan, a couple of glass cloches and so much more. Most of this stuff will end up on the bus or on Etsy...the AE milk box however, will end up on my front porch. It makes me smile.




1 comment: